Spaghetti Squash has got to be one of the coolest foods on the planet! Who would have thought that a vegetable could just pull apart into string-like spaghetti goodness once it’s baked!
So this particular spaghetti squash recipe makes me happy because…
If you make this at a dinner party your guests eyes will grow large with amazement once they start eating it! (I like to think of this dish as a party trick in a meal!)
It tastes sooo decadent, it is low carb and it’s vegetarian — so if you have many guests over it’s a great/safe option. It’s actually very filling (I can barely get through the dish) and the whole thing has under 300 calories.
It is unique, fun and best of all EASY TO MAKE!!!
Okay here are the steps!
1) Pre heat your oven at 400 degrees
2) Cut the spaghetti squash in half , place on baking tray and add a tiny bit of water to the bottom of the tray (about a centimetre high)
3) Put it in the oven for 40 minutes
4)When the squash is baking make a yummy filling! I sautéed 1 zucchini, 2 portobello mushrooms, white onion and 2 cloves of fresh garlic in olive oil on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
5) Then…CHILL OUT — The squash will just be sitting in the oven so you might as well chill out.
6) When the hour is done pour the veggies into the middle of the squash.
7) Then top it with a tomato sauce (I look for a sauce with low sodium, low sugar and preferably organic)
8) Then sprinkle some low fat cheese on top of the sauce! (I like Cracker Barrel Low Fat Tex Mex Cheese)
9) Put it back in the oven for 10-15 minutes
10) Then take it out!! You’re done! Crack some fresh pepper and sprinkle a tiny bit of sea salt on top and bon appetite!!